The directors of the Bishop Thomas K. Gorman Catholic Schools Fine Arts programs are dedicated to using the Arts to glorify God and to bless His people. "Non nobis Domine: Not unto us, but unto God be the glory". While we seek to maintain national and state standards in Fine Arts education, we believe that better than winning competitions is to shine the light of Christ's love and redemption through our art.
As teachers and artists, we mentor our students, encouraging them to develop their God-given talents, to practice self-discipline, build their artistic excellence, to kindle in them a desire for mastery within their creative self-expression. We are committed to using the arts to produce wonderful students, rather than using students to make wonderful art.
Why Do We Teach Fine Arts at Bishop Gorman?
- Not because we expect you to major in music or art.
- Not because we expect you to paint, play, or sing professionally all your life.
- Not so you can relax or have fun.
- But so that you will be more fully human.
- So you will recognize the beauty of God's handiwork.
- So you will be closer to an Infinite beyond this world.
- So you will have more compassion, more gentleness, more goodness... more Life.
Of what value will it be to make a prosperous living unless you know how to live?
- Author unknown