High School Christian Service Program
This resource has been compiled for your convenience to help Gorman students find ways and places to give back to the community and meet Bishop Gorman's service hour requirement.
"For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger and you welcomed me; naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was a prisoner, and you came to me." Then the righteous will answer Him, "Lord, when did we see you a stranger, and invited you in, or naked and clothed you? When did we see you sick, or in prison and come to you? The king will answer and say to them, "Truly, I say to you, whenever you did it to the least of my brothers, you did it for Me." Matthew 25:35-41
The Call to Serve
As the Body of Christ, the Church, we are the hands and feet, heart, eyes, voice and ears of Christ. As members of His Body, we answer the call to love and to serve the Lord. This mission is rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did it for Me." (Matthew 25: 40)
Bishop Thomas K. Gorman Catholic School is an arm of the Church, the Body of Christ. We are called to service through the teachings of the Church as quoted from the Catechism of the Catholic Church : "The common good is always oriented towards the progress of persons" CCC # 1912.
"The duty of making oneself a neighbor to others and actively serving them becomes even more urgent when it involves the disadvantaged, in whatever area this may be" CCC # 1932 and finally, "The principle of solidarity, also articulated in terms of "friendship" or "social charity", is a direct demand of human and Christian brotherhood." CCC # 1939
- To provide a direct connection of the face of Christ to the needy.
- To offer experiences which expose students to areas that need social transformation.
- To provide the opportunity for students to engage in responsible action which leads to the enrichment of all.
- To help each student shift his/her focus beyond individual needs, thus deepening his/her commitment to serve others.
- To encourage faculty and family participation in and support of the Christian Service Program.
- To participate in the annual "All Class Service Day" To participate in School-wide Christian Service projects
- To participate individually through the High School Christian Service Requirement
For further information, access the document links to the right.